Thursday, December 27, 2012

American Brotherhood Weekend


I had always heard that ABW was a great event but I was a little wary that was the case, being that it was one of Chris’ former titles. ABW was only a couple of weeks after the trip to Twisted in Tulsa, and since we won the titles, I was a very last minute add-on to the trip. We were lucky and got great airfare.

I arrived the day after Daddy and Chris did, so Daddy met me at the airport and helped me catch the train for our long trek up to Evanston where we were staying. After we got to the hotel and got everything put away, we went across the street to have some lunch. I finally got to try the infamous Steak Bites! (Amazing, btw) Oh yeah! The Pint O’ Bacon! Exactly what it sounds like.

The next day Daddy and I got up and ran all over Chicago being touristy. We wanted to visit the aquarium but the line was too damn long so we decided to head over to the Field Museum. That was ok with me because I got to see some big bones! I also bought a cute stuffed animal for my nephew. We met up with Chris after lunch and went on a river and lake tour of Chicago’s architecture. I about froze my ass off in the process. Mental note for next time: Bring a heavy jacket when traveling to chi-town in the fall and winter times. That night was the official meet and greet for the contestants at Touche’.

Finally getting to put faces to the names that I had heard so many times was great. Getting to show off some rope skills in the process wasn’t a bad thing either.

The next day was the beginning of the contest. We met at Touche’. Karen Ultra blew us all away showing up in her vintage band uniform and outrageously long eyelashes, but of course, she rocked it. Before we went over to the Leather Archives and Museum where the contest was being held, I was tasked with getting Karen’s coffee (if that’s what you want to call it). I’d personally call it jet fuel. The contest started as they always do. The contestants did an amazing job, and it was clear to see that the judges were going to have a hard time picking a winner because there were no front runners.

The close of the contest was on Sunday. Daddy and I had the great privilege of getting up and giving a speech about our contest and shamelessly self-promoting Puppies In The Mountains! The contest went on, the outgoing family gave their step down speeches and I don’t think anyone could be more proud of them! The new family was named and pictures taken.

Now it was time to get inducted into the cult. We proceeded to SideTrack and I got to try my first slushy drink. I had always heard about the purple squishy but I personally loved the red one. Hanging with everyone was a great way to end the weekend.

Monday was bittersweet as I packed my bags to head home. The train ride to the airport was long and lonely but it was a great opportunity  to think about the people and things that I experienced over the weekend. Chicago had really stolen a piece of me and I greatly looked forward to returning in a couple of weeks for MIR.

No comments:

Post a Comment